Dr. Sullivan's research interests include regional anesthesia and pain management in patients for cardiothoracic surgery; management and treatment of cardiac failure; inhalation therapy for treatment of pulmonary hypertension; antifibrinolytic therapy for the reduction of transfusion and perioperative bleeding in patients scheduled for cardiothoracic surgery; and utilization of thromboelastography and platelet function studies in parallel to guide transfusion therapy in patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery. Dr. Sullivan has been a primary investigator for several industry sponsored clinical trials and she serves as a member of the University of Pittsburgh Institutional Review Board. Dr. Sullivan is a Member Faculty for the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine. She is the author of several book chapters for major textbooks of cardiothoracic anesthesiology, peer reviewed journal articles and numerous abstracts.
Dr. Sullivan is an active participant in the education of medical students, anesthesiology residents, fellows and faculty. She served as the Chair of the Anesthesiology Residency Program Curriculum Committee and is the Director of the Cardiothoracic Fellowship Program. Dr. Sullivan has achieved national recognition within her specialty through her appointment to several committees of professional societies, most notably the Education Committee of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists; the Committee for Scientific and Educational Exhibits, Committee on Governmental Affairs, and the Committee on Surgical Anesthesia for the American Society of Anesthesiologists. She is a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. Dr. Sullivan has served as a question writer for the American Society of Anesthesiologists Self-Education and Evaluation Program and the American Board of Anesthesiology-American Society of Anesthesiologists Joint Council on In-Training Examinations. She serves as an Oral Board Examiner for the American Board of Anesthesiology Part 2 Examination. Additionally, she is a faculty advisor for medical students through the University of Pittsburgh's Faculty and Students Together (F.A.S.T.) program and residents through the Department of Anesthesiology.
Dr. Sullivan serves her specialty at the local, state and national level. She is a Past President and a member of the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Society of Anesthesiologists. She serves as a Delegate from Pennsylvania to the American Society of Anesthesiologists House of Delegates and is the Alternate Director from Pennsylvania to the Board of Directors of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Dr. Sullivan served as the President of the Western Pennsylvania Society of Anesthesiologists from 2001-2002.
Education & Training
- Louisiana State University, BS, Biochemistry
- Louisiana State University Medical School, MD
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Anesthesiology Residency
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
Dr. Sullivan's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.
Research, clinical, and/or academic interests
- Regional anesthesia and pain management in patients for cardiothoracic surgery
- Management and treatment of cardiac failure
- Inhalation therapy for treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Antifibrinolytic therapy for the reduction of transfusion and perioperative bleeding in patients scheduled for cardiothoracic surgery
- Utilization of thromboelastography and platelet function studies in parallel to guide transfusion therapy in patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery