Hometown: Dayton, OH
Education & Training
- MD, Washington University in St. Louis, School of Medicine
- PhD, Washington University in St. Louis
- Anesthesiology Residency, University of California, San Francisco
Dr. Alter's publications can be reviewed through PubMed.
Research, clinical, and/or academic interests
Dr. Alter’s research explores how the brain modulates pain and how endogenous pain dampening systems can be systematically leveraged for novel pain therapies. Specific projects elucidate basic research questions on the systems neuroscience level, translational questions bringing basic knowledge towards novel treatments, and clinical questions aimed at understanding how pain modulatory systems change in chronic pain.
- Multimodal approach to chronic pain management
- Interventional pain management
Dr. Alter's postdoctoral position is supported in part by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (T32GM075770).