The University of Pittsburgh Physicians Department of Anesthesiology will sponsor the St. Thomas Anesthesiology Legal Education Symposium March 8-11, 2017 at the beautiful Frenchman’s Reef Marriott, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. This distinctive program is designed to bring together experts in anesthesiology, medical malpractice defense law, medical malpractice plaintiff law, risk management, and malpractice insurance in a collaborative educational program.
Renowned anesthesiologists and first class legal experts will provide a widely relevant and interactive program. Sessions include lectures on medical and legal topics and ethics, interactive case reviews from both medical and legal viewpoints, and will conclude with a mock trial with the audience deciding the outcome. Every session has been carefully designed to be relevant to all in attendance irrespective of their medical or legal background or practice setting.
This activity is sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh Physicians Department of Anesthesiology and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences.
Physicians, Fellows, Residents, CRNAs, Medical Plaintiff and Defense Attorneys, Risk Managers, Medical Insurers, SRNAs, law students, and medical students
At the conclusion of the program, attendees should be able to
- Appraise the ASA Closed Claims data
- Discuss patterns in medical malpractice
- Explain the steps involved in a medical malpractice case
- Prepare for a medical malpractice deposition
- Recognize the role of the expert witness
- Analyze the ethical issues involved in medical/legal cases
- Identify trends in Premium and Claims histories in Healthcare
- Discuss strategies to avoid complications and malpractice claims
Raymond M. Planinsic, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology; Director, Transplantation Anesthesiology, UPMC Presbyterian; Director, Hepatic Transplantation Anesthesiology Fellowship, UPMC
- David G. Metro, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology; Vice Chair for Education; Anesthesiology Residency Program Director, UPMC
- Daniel R. Sullivan, MD, JD, MBA, Associate Professor; Quality Director/Patient Safety Officer, University of Pittsburgh Physicians/Anesthesiology; Chief Anesthesiologist, UPMC Passavant
- Richard P. Kidwell, JD, Senior Associate Counsel & Director of Risk Management, Department of Patient Safety/Risk Management, UPMC
- Howard B. Gutstein, MD, Peter and Eva Safar Professor and Chair, UPP Department of Anesthesiology
- Mark E. Hudson, MD, MBA, Professor of Anesthesiology; Executive Vice-Chairman, UPP Department of Anesthesiology
- Joseph J. Quinlan, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology; Chief Anesthesiologist, UPMC Presbyterian
- Shawn T. Beaman, MD, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology; Anesthesiology Residency Associate Program Director; Director of Trauma Anesthesiology, UPMC Presbyterian
- Steven L. Orebaugh, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology, UPMC Southside
- Stephen Esper, MD, MBA, Assistant Professor, Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology; Director of ERAS
- John C. Conti, JD, Shareholder, Dickie McCamey Attorneys at Law; Adjunct Professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Renee A. Metal, JD, Rosen Louik & Perry, PC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Jon R. Perry, JD, Rosen Louik & Perry, PC; Adjunct Professor of Litigation, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Robert G. Voinchet, Jr., JD, President & Counsel, Captive Insurance Program, UPMC
Barb Novak Chismar, BA, Education Office Project Manager, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Continuing Education Credit:
CME Accreditation: This activity has been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
CLE Accreditation is provided via the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for a total of 18 hours of CLE.
Conference registration is available online at https://ccehs.upmc.com (Click on "Upcoming Events")
Registration Fee includes admission to the program along with CME/AANA/CLE credit. Continental breakfast, break snack, and Meet the Faculty Welcome Reception are included with the fee of $900 due before December 1, 2016; $1100 on December 1, 2016 and beyond.
Day 1: Wednesday March 8, 2017
Closed Claims Data - Who is Being Sued and Why?
|7:00 AM - 7:45 AM||Registration/Continental Breakfast|
|7:45 AM - 8:00 AM||Opening Remarks/Welcome||Planinsic|
|8:00 AM - 8:45 AM||Lecture 1: Medical Malpractice - What is It?||Perry/Metro|
|8:45 AM - 9:30 AM||Lecture 2: Closed Claims Data: Who is Being Sued and Why?||Planinsic|
|9:30 AM - 10:15 AM||Lecture 3: Current Airway Management Practices||Beaman|
|10:15 AM - 10:30 AM||BREAK/Q&A||Beaman, Metro, Perry, Planinsic|
|10:30 AM - 11:30 AM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 1||
|11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 2||
|6:00 - 8:00 PM||Meet the Faculty Welcome Reception|
Day 2: Thursday March 9, 2017
Ethical Issues and Malpractice Overview
|7:30 - 8:00 AM||Continental Breakfast|
|8:00 AM - 8:45 AM||Lecture 4: Ethical Issues in Medical/Legal Practice||Sullivan|
|8:45 AM - 9:30 AM||Lecture 5: Steps in a Medical Malpractice Case||Metal|
|9:30 AM - 10:15 AM||Lecture 6: Current Regional Anesthesia Practices||Orebaugh|
|10:15 AM - 10:30 AM||BREAK/Q&A||Metal, Orebaugh, Sullivan|
|10:30 AM - 11:30 AM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 3||
|11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 4||
Day 3: Friday March 10, 2017
Preparing for a Deposition
|7:30 - 8:00 AM||Continental Breakfast|
|8:00 AM - 8:45 AM||Lecture 7: Premium and Claims History of a Major Health Care System||Voinchet|
|8:45 AM - 9:30 AM||Lecture 8: How to Prepare for a Deposition as a Defendant and Treating Physician||Conti/Hudson|
|9:30 AM - 10:15 AM||Lecture 9: Current Practice in Cardiovascular Optimization for Non-Cardiac Surgery||Esper|
|10:15 AM - 10:30 AM||BREAK/Q&A||Conti, Esper, Hudson, Voinchet|
|10:30 AM - 11:30 AM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 5||
|11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||Legal Case Panel Discussion: Case 6||
Day 4: Saturday March 11, 2017
|7:30 AM - 8:00 AM||Continental Breakfast|
|8:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Mock Trial Part 1||Beaman, Conti, Esper, Gutstein, Hudson, Kidwell, Metal, Metro, Orebaugh, Perry, Planinsic, Sullivan, Voinchet|
|10:00 AM - 10:15 AM||BREAK/Q&A||Beaman, Conti, Esper, Gutstein, Hudson, Kidwell, Metal, Metro, Orebaugh, Perry, Planinsic, Sullivan, Voinchet|
|10:15 AM - 12:15 PM||Mock Trial Part 2||Beaman, Conti, Esper, Gutstein, Hudson, Kidwell, Metal, Metro, Orebaugh, Perry, Planinsic, Sullivan, Voinchet|
|12:15 PM - 12:30 PM||Closing Remarks||Planinsic|
Location and Address
Frenchman's Reef Resort
5 Estate Bakkeroe
St. Thomas 00802 Virgin Islands (US)
The conference has contracted a limited number of hotel rooms at the Frenchman’s Reef Marriott. The discounted group rate of $313/$390 (island/ocean view) plus applicable taxes and resort fees is available for conference attendees. Early registration is encouraged to assure group room rate. You may book a room by calling 800-524-2000 and ask for the UPMC St. Thomas ALE 2017 room block in order to receive the reduced rate.
Please visit the resort website for details regarding the resort amenities and activities. Reservations may be made online at https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=15514121.
The Americans with Disabilities Act Information
Participation by all individuals is encouraged. Advance notification of any special needs will help us provide better service. Please notify us of your needs at least two weeks in advance of the program by calling Barb Novak Chismar at 412-692-4505.
All individuals in a position to control the content of this educational activity are required to disclose all relevant financial relationships with any proprietary entity producing, marketing, re-selling or distributing health care goods or services, used on, or consumed by, patients.
Nondiscrimination, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action
All external advertisement must comply with the University of Pittsburgh Policy 07-01-03, Nondiscrimination, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action. The University of Pittsburgh is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution.
Questions or comments related to the symposium may be directed to Barb Novak Chismar.